Christ University which is located in Koramangala, Bangalore is perhaps one of the better known and reputed Universities in India. With a student population of over 18000 currently and over 800+ faculty members as well, the university is one of the biggest universities in Bangalore and boasts a well-developed environment for academics as well as creative arts. Here are some of the most interesting facts about Christ University:
1. Christ University was founded in 1969 as an autonomous: Though Christ is generally known as a university at the current time, it was until 2008 that the gained its deemed University status under Section 3 of the UGC Act of 1956 by the Ministry of Human Resources Development.
2. Christ University was formed through the vision of a Catholic Priest in the 1800s: Christ University was originally formed by a congregation widely known as “Carmelites of Mary Immaculate” which was in turn formed by St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara in 1831. St. Kuriakose was a famous social reformer and Catholic Priest that was born in 1805 who focused on reforming the deprived and marginalized classes that existed in society at the time.
3. Christ was the first university in South-India that was re-accredited with an “A” grade by NAAC: The National Assessment and Accreditation Council or NAAC for shorthold the duty of assessing Higher education institutions around India and assigning them grades based on the education provided as well as the accolades earned by the Christ University has the prestige of holding an “A” grade currently and is the first university in all of South India to receive the certification, achieving it in 2005.
4. Christ has a substantial amount of diversity amongst students: Christ is known for having a very diverse population of students, with several students attending from all around the world. It is said that there are roughly 700+ students from over 58 countries that attend Christ in any given academic year.
5. Christ University has formed a -for-profit publication wing to publish Kannada Language books: The organization “Kannada Sangha” was formed by Christ University to promote and publish Kannada literature around the world. Over 220 books have been published under the organization which includes six peer-reviewed journals. It is said that the major operations of Publication began in 2001 when a full-fledged centre of publication was established.
6. Christ University has won the award of “Best Institutional Garden” for 24 years consecutively: Christ University is well known for having a clean campus with recycling being actively encouraged within the campus. However, it is the institute garden that has gained attention from people around the world and has even won awards from organizations, in particular, the Mysore Horticulture Society which has given the University the award for “Best Institutional Garden” for 24 years straight.
7. There is a second branch of Christ University that was recently opened: Christ University has added another branch under the same name which was inaugurated in 2016. This branch is located in Bannerghatta road near other famous establishments such as the Bannerghatta National Park and IIM Bangalore.
8. The Vice-Chancellor of the is usually selected from the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate congregation: Though as per UGC guidelines the candidate chosen for Vice-Chancellor should have the appropriate qualifications that are required for their Academic duties, The Vice-Chancellor is usually selected from within the Congregation itself and outsiders are allowed to apply or to take on the job.
9. Christ University held an entry in the Guinness Book of Records: On 10 January 2011, An event was held by famous beatboxer Vineeth Vincent in the to break the record for the largest beatbox ensemble in India. The event at hand boasted a record 2136 participants and was considered to be the official world record by the Guinness Book of World records. It was broken later that year by booking.com whose event boasted a whopping 4695 participants. Vineeth Vincent is also an alumnus of Christ university.
10. The state government of Karnataka tried to interfere with the granting of the University status to Christ University: During the process of trying to obtain the Deemed-University status that Christ university currently has, the state government had refused to submit a No-Objection Certificate or NOC to the UGC. However, Bangalore University had submitted the NOC and recommended for the Deemed University status to be given to Christ University and as a result, The UGC decided to ignore the requirement of a NOC on the part of the state government and granted Christ the deemed-university status on 22 July 2008.
Tags- Amazing facts about Christ University Bangalore, Interesting facts about christ university, top facts about christ university, Unknown facts about christ university